Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Skin For His

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 Print Article
Leave a Comment
My Skin For His
Milan Ford
For the past fifteen years (perhaps even longer), I have struggled with the discoloration of my skin due to poor acne growing up. Like most young people growing up, acne was that distant cousin no one wanted around, but kept showing up uninvited and more often than not, with friends.

Like many young adults who are still recovering from skin scars from their adolescent years, I have just about tried every product in the book. Some have worked, most have not. As one particular dermatologist told me earlier this year (while I was standing in a grocery checkout line):

"It takes longer to heal from a scar than it does to actually make one."

Honestly, I didn't know whether to respond with "thank you" or "did I ask for your opinion" - it's amazing how your flaws (when visible to the public) have a way of constantly drawing someone else's diagnosis even when you haven't asked for it.

As a leader (and survivor of ministry) within the local church, my appearance is often something that has been a private prison for me. Despite the unconditional love of my wife and three children, there are still times when I shy away from taking some family photos, and when it comes to meeting with other leaders or friends, keeping eye contact remains a tall mountain to climb.

About a week or so ago, while standing in my bathroom, preparing to test yet another skin care product someone had recommended, I was reminded of this incredibly powerful passage of scripture found in John 1:1-5v:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was the life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

Now skip down to the 14th verse:

And the Word became FLESH and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

I want to speak directly to everyone reading this today who may have a problem with the 'skin' that they find themselves in right now. Whether you are having a challenge regarding your weight, finding meaningful relationships, locating a new job, or perhaps just holding onto the job you have now...

...please do not allow your quest for personal improvement to cause you to lose sight of the glorious image our Father has provided us all through His Son, Jesus Christ.

I realize that your new year's resolution list is piling up yet again concerning some of the things you desire to change about yourself, but before you invest in yet another self-help product, be sure to spend the time necessary to embrace the fact that you have been uniquely fashioned 'in Christ' before the foundations of the world. Everything that you still deem to be 'dark' in your life cannot compare to the light that Christ desires to shine on us who believe.

This is not a time to hang your head down low or to live a life that is beneath what you are capable of. The time has come for you to exchange YOUR SKIN for HIS.

To know that despite our flaws, Christ came down, embraced our humanity, and now presents us as 'flawless' before an omnipotent God, should ignite within us all a fire that no one can extinguish.

So if you can excuse me, I'm running late for a photo shoot my wife scheduled for me!

Perhaps it's time you should schedule yours.



Milan Ford has been a leader (and survivor) of ministry within the local church for most of his life. A lover of Red Vines Licorice and all things pointing North, Milan recently released his first book, 83 Things I Wish The Black Church Would Stop Doing, which is currently ranked #3 on Amazon.com (Religion & Spirituality / African-American). You can find Milan rambling and writing at at ThePewView.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment