Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Run to Your Father

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 Print Article
Leave a Comment
Run To Your Father
Robin May
Recently I was at church with both of my daughters (8 months and 2 ½ years old). My husband, who is an ordained Elder and a minister of the Gospel, was on post and therefore not sitting with us during this particular Sunday. I was doing my best to maintain order with my girls. After all they are officially considered PK's (preachers kids) & I have this self imposed mission to keep them from playing into the often negative and unfair stereotype that comes from being a child of a preacher (give me a break...I admit that it is a 'self imposed' mission!).

Reagan, the 8month old was manageable, as long as I kept her in my arms. But Ryann, my 2 year old was another story. At first things were fine. Ryann sat quietly while eating her cheerios (in a zip lock bag of course!). However all good things must come to an end, including cheerios. Once she was done with her food it started. If you have a 2 yr old you know what I'm talking about.

First she began with question after question. "Mommy can I look at Dora"? "Mommy can I have another snack?" "Mommy is that Bishop?" I was handling the questions pretty smoothly and began to relax a little bit. But any mother knows that there is no room to relax with a toddler.

Ryann decided to take it to the next level. She began to sing. Out loud. But the problem was not that she started to sing. It's what she decided to sing. It wasn't "Hallelujah" or "Holy Holy Holy". No. My sweet preachers' kid began to sing Beyonce's "All the Single Ladies" (I wonder where she got that from!). 'Embarrassed' does not begin to express what I felt.

I quickly got down to her level, moved very close to her face and delivered what I knew would be the line to make her get it together. I said in my most stern voice "Hush! Do you want me to go get your daddy?"

But instead of responding with a shaky "no" and then settling down, my daughter said "Yes mommy! I want my daddy. Can you go get my daddy"? What?! My initial reaction was confusion. Instead of hearing my words as a threat, my two year old heard it as a great offer. Instead of getting scared, Ryann got excited. Yes! She wanted her daddy!

Pretty quickly Ryann & I changed roles. That Sunday morning, I became the student and Ryann was my teacher. Matthew 18:2-5 reads "Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, "Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

How many times have I been afraid to run to my heavenly Father because of the mistakes I've made? How often have I told the Lord that I would re-commit to my walk with Him only after I fix what is broken in my life? Can I even count the times that I have been so messed up that I have ignored the promise of James 8:8 that tells me, if I draw near to Him, He'll draw near to me?

My innocent little 2 year old taught me a valuable lesson. Maybe you can get in on it too. Here it is:

No matter what's going on in your life...

...Maybe you haven't had the consistent quiet time that you declared would happen in the New Year
...Maybe you aren't tithing as consistently as He calls us too
...Maybe your own pursuits have taken over your life

...Take heed to Ryann's lesson and push pass your 'stuff' and run to your Father. He knows everything about you and despite it all, He loves you and longs to be in fellowship with you. So the next time you find yourself in a 'messed up' situation, I dare you to say out loud "Yes! Despite all of this mess around me...I want my daddy!"





Robin May is the creator of Virtue Speaks (www.virtuespeaks.com), a site focused on spiritual and relational empowerment. A mental health therapist and relationship coach, Robin is the author of the brand new book, Before You Take His Name

No comments:

Post a Comment