Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Protecting His Investment

Protecting His Investment
By Overseer Christopher J. Harris
This week's topic: Angels


Last year I lost my grandmother. She was one of the wisest women that I knew. She did not have any advanced degrees or astute political connections, but she knew people, life, and reality. Most importantly, she knew God.


More from:
Overseer Christopher J. Harris
The Church Has My Vote
I remember listening to her many nights, as she prayed for hours. In between my dozing, I would hear her regularly use the phrase, “Thank you, Lord, for protecting us from dangers seen and unseen.”

I never really understood this, until the day I got bold enough to bring up to her the prayers that she prayed. Up until that point, I am not really sure she knew I was listening. I had a gut feeling that I was about to open up a can of worms, and I wasn’t sure how she’d respond. Her response confused me. She began to cry.

After about two hours of talking about scripture, in that grandmother kind of tone (most of you know what I mean…), she started walking around the house, crying, praising God, and repeatedly quoting the below scripture. I’ll never forget that day.

Psalm 91:11 (NIV) – “For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways;”

I didn’t understand then, but I think I understand now. She was declaring her limited ability to travel and be ever present with her children and dozens of grandchildren. She was also acknowledging that even though her lifespan may be limited by the reality of life and death, if she declared God’s Word over her greatest investment, God would take care of it.

Her greatest investment was not her physical possessions. It was her children! Her children were (are) her legacy, and she wanted to make sure it was protected. So, she would gently remind God and thank Him at the same time that she’d come to know a scripture, in which God declared He’d also protect His greatest investment – His children!

We are God’s legacy here in the earth. He has no Plan B, nor does He have any sort of contingency document to ensure that the world hears about His plan to re-establish hope for the hopeless. He only has one way to ensure that today, you won’t become so overwhelmed that you contemplate taking your life. He only has one way to ensure that today, you’ll live life to the fullest and not become distracted by worry, wealth or even want. His plan is to protect His greatest investment. You!

He’s going to protect his investment by dispatching and assigning angels to guard you in all of your ways, thoughts, actions, reactions, plans, and dreams.

Do you believe that just because you cannot see God at work at this moment, He isn’t working?

Thank God for my grandmother. She’s taught me and left me a legacy that I want to pass on to my children. Although sometimes I can’t physically see how God is working, He’s always protecting His investment. He’s always at work in my life and in your life. That is exciting, encouraging, and rejuvenating.

We should never underestimate the power of the world around us, both seen and unseen. We should never underestimate the ministry of angels. They have a job to do in our lives and in this world.

In "Angels, God’s Secret Agents" by Billy Graham, he states, “"Christians must never fail to sense the operation of angelic glory. It forever eclipses the world of demonic powers, as the sun does the candle’s light.” This is comforting for the believer. In spite of our hurried lifestyles, daily decisions, and moments of frustration and disappointment, God has assigned angels to us for us to still BECOME who He wants us to BECOME.

To my knowledge, other than my wife, I don’t believe I’ve seen an angel, but the Bible says otherwise. Actually, the Bible says that I’ve seen angels and most likely didn’t recognize them. Wow, what a thought! (Heb. 13:2).

Although you may not understand the entire depth of how God works with His angels, will you allow Him to protect His greatest investment? Will you submit to Him and allow Him to direct you in every endeavor? He’s got an investment to protect.

Scripture Of The Day: “Behold I send an Angel before you to keep you in the way and to bring you into the place which I have prepared.” - Exodus 23:20 (NKJV)




Overseer Christopher J. Harris, a native of Palatka, Florida, currently serves as the Youth & College Pastor at Cedar Grove Tabernacle of Praise in North Carolina. He also serves as the International General Overseer of the Children & Youth Division for Full Gospel Baptist Church Fellowship International. For more information, visit http://www.cedargrovetop.org.…

No comments:

Post a Comment