Monday, April 12, 2010

The Church Has My Vote

The Church Has My Vote
By Overseer Christopher J. Harris
This week's topic: The Church


The church has some problems. No question about it. I’ve been around the church most of my life. Actually, all of my life would not be a stretch. Interestingly enough, I’ve seen some of the best that the church has to offer and unfortunately, I’ve seen some of the worse that the church offers.


More from:
Overseer Christopher J. Harris
Is Alone Time With God Realistic?
Prayer Is The Launching Pad
But I’m committed to the church. You may ask why? If I’ve seen all of that – why in the world would I sell out to this organization and be willing to serve it until my last days? That’s a good question and I’m willing to give you a straight-forward answer. First, let me tell you what else I’ve seen.

I’ve seen church members that take their faith serious and walk that out in their daily lives. I’ve seen Pastors have such an encounter with God that they live what they preach. I’ve seen choir members that were the same righteous people in public and in private. I’ve seen more preachers that were committed to their wives than I have seen the opposite. I’ve seen more Deacons support their Pastor’s than the opposite. I’ve seen church members that love people so much that they’ve given money, time, and their talents just to help someone that they’ve only met a few minutes ago. I’ve seen people cry together and laugh together. I’ve seen men connect with other men when otherwise there were walls of mistrust. I’ve seen women get restored when they’d decided they would never trust again. This list could also go on and on.

My vote is with the church.

I know it’s very interesting to mention the words church and vote in the same sentence in today’s culture. In many cases where voting takes place, the organization in question moves at the pleasure of the majority opinion. The only problem with majority opinion in the church is that many times it doesn’t always mesh with God’s opinion.

Without getting into a church policy or a church governance debate, I simply use the issue of public opinion as a link to encourage you that regardless of current public opinion regarding the church – the church is still the most God-endorsed, God-empowered, and God-enabled institution on the planet.

Today’s public opinion of both those outside and inside of the church is by and large not positive. It is a true statement that the credibility of the church many times is linked to those who represent it. And a few of those that represent it have not done a great job. But I am encouraged, because as an insider I know the good far outweighs what public opinion says. My vote is with the church because it’s Jesus’ bride and it is really supported in scripture as being a victorious body of people.

Jesus declared, “Upon this rock, will I build my church. And the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”

I firmly believe that the hope for the world today is God’s church and those uniquely tied to his church. I respect our government and its leaders. I respect many of our community agencies and the work that they are doing. I respect many of the philanthropic efforts that many are engaged in around our country and world, but the hope for the world today – is God’s church.

That’s the other reason why I’m sold out to the church. It doesn’t belong to any one person. It is God’s!

That’s not too hard to figure out. When you look at how uniquely designed the church is. That it spans over every continent and every nation. It includes every language, every race and creed. It includes every age and generation, every economic status. It includes every music influence, every gift and talent, and most of all, every personality. Only God could orchestrate and arrange such a phenomenal powerhouse.

Today, I renew my commitment to the last thing Jesus left before his transition back to the Father and the first thing that He’s coming back for – his victorious, influential, and powerful institution – the church. Will you vote with me?

Scripture Of The Day: "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it." - Matthew 16:18v (NKJV)



Overseer Christopher J. Harris, a native of Palatka, Florida, currently serves as the Youth & College Pastor at Cedar Grove Tabernacle of Praise in North Carolina. He also serves as the International General Overseer of the Children & Youth Division for Full Gospel Baptist Church Fellowship International. For more information, visit http://www.cedargrovetop.org.…

No comments:

Post a Comment