Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Fear Of God

This week's topic: The Fear Of The Lord


Okay. I think it’s time to finally let this cat out the bag. I realize that for many of you, this doesn’t come as much of a surprise; but I’m going to take a chance and say it anyway for those of you (like me) who are still trying to figure this whole 'Christian life' thing out.

Here it goes: Sometimes our God just doesn’t make much sense.

Now I realize that may sound a bit strange, but allow me to give you a few examples of what I mean:


More from:
Milan Ford
Classic Conditioning
Direction, Not Intention
In order to receive, He tells us we must (first) learn how to give. (Luke 6:38)
In order to lead, He tells us we must (first) learn how to follow. (Mark 1:17)
In order to be successful in life, we must (first) learn how to fail. (John 12:24-25).
And in order to be confident, we must (first) learn you to be afraid. (Proverbs 14:26)

Be afraid? Seems like strange advice coming from an all-mighty God, doesn’t it? I must admit I thought it was too until I read this passage in its entirety.

In the fear of the Lord, there is strong confidence,
His children will have a place of refuge.

The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life,
It turns one away from the snares of death. (Proverbs 14:26-27)

I will never forget something I heard a long-time mentor of mine, Pastor Terrell Murphy, once say when I was still a junior in college: The Kingdom of God…is backwards.

While FEAR is something many of us seek to avoid, I believe now more than ever before that FEAR is something God wants us at times to embrace. Although difficult for us to grasp, the measure of FAITH we have in God can be directly related to the measure of FEAR we have of Him.

For example: How many job opportunities have you passed up because you were AFRAID of what the employer may have said…rather than being AFRAID of disobeying the God who told you to apply? How many unfruitful relationships are you still holding on to because you are AFRAID of being alone…rather than being AFRAID of not trusting in the God who has better ones in store?

Believe it or not, FEAR is not something we always have to back away from. Sometimes, FEAR is something we need to lean more into. FEAR is not an enemy to us who believe; but rather it can be a very useful tool of faith. A tool of confidence. And as many of us already know, a tool of wisdom. (Proverbs 1:7)

Today, let’s honor God with our lives and with godly fear, examine the decisions we make concerning our lives.

Scripture Of The Day: "The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, it turns one away from the snares of death." - Proverbs 14:27 (NKJV)


Milan Ford has been a leader (and survivor) of ministry within the local church for most of his life. The author of the brand new book, 83 Things I Wish The Black Church Would Stop Doing, you can find Milan rambling and writing at http://www.thepewview.com.…

No comments:

Post a Comment